Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Beginning

It is a tradition at my high school to write a letter to yourself in grade seven, about anything you want. This letter is to be hidden away and re-opened on the final day of high school, six years later. A sort of graduation present to see how crazy and weird you were six years ago. I graduated this year (hallelujah!) and as the final days approached the excitement began to rise around these mysterious letters. When I finally opened the letter, sealed with my mini-me thumbprint, I was disappointed to say the least. The letter started off with a simple, "Hello future me," and then went down hill from there. I wrote a mere five sentences. I thought for sure there must have been more to my life six years ago than the facts that my favourite colour was pink and I had two eggs for breakfast. What about my thoughts? My dreams for the future, my excitement about the present, my memories, my adventures shared with family and friends? It was all of this that was absent in this re-opened time capsule of thought. After that day I promised myself I would write more. Mostly for myself, to navigate the things I learn and remind myself of the dreams I aspire to. Mostly though, I will write more so that I can look back on my life when I'm old and grey and remember all the crazy adventures life has thrown at me, exactly how I experienced them years eariler. That's where this blog comes in. As I venture into the unknown, I will use this to tell my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment